Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Tales of Methodist Nal: The Story of Anarchy on Wheels (2018), part 8

‘You are a thinker, Paul, I’ll give you that.’

‘I take it I didn’t win you over.’

‘Not really.  I think rules have an important role in society.  Sure, back in the city there might have been too many rules.  Maybe we can make a simple, straight-forward charter that will give us the flexibility that a growing and adapting sus eye itty needs to thrive in the future.  But the point is, everyone needs to be playing by the same rulebook, or else people will get hurt.’

‘But people get hurt anyway.’

‘Well, yes, people will always get hurt.’

‘If we’re only avoiding pain, the law would have to replace the freedom it takes away with a greater guarantee of lesser pain.  As is generally found, the law is never able to decrease suffering and fear of injury to a satisfying degree, and usually adds more of its own.  Law is merely a tool used by a minority to control the majority.’

‘But the majority agreed to it!’

‘That’s exactly how the minority wants it!  Like sheep to slaughter!’

‘You’re being paranoid, Paul.  Everyone is just looking out for his own well-being.’

‘Then let him look out for it without watching his neighbor.’

‘Well, this is getting nowhere.  Let’s take a break for a bit and let me gather my thoughts.  I’ll find you later.’

Albert and Paul went their separate ways and Albert wandered over to the pit to see if anything was happening.  Onk! was there digging a grave with his men.  When he noticed Albert, he put down his shovel (the hell he get that?).

‘Are you enjoying your discussions with the esteemed Paul?’  Onk! asked as he approached Albert, who became very sheepish, nervous.

‘Oh--he makes my head hurt sometimes.’

‘I bet.  I bet it’s boring too.  Write a fuckin’ book, Paul!’

Albert laughed an empty laugh.  ‘He’s very set in his way of thinking.’

‘Aren’t they all.’

‘Aren’t who all?’

‘Aren’t we all!’ Onk! shouted, laughing.  ‘See, that’s what kills me about guys like Paul.  They claim to be anarchist, you know, let every man govern himself, but they still judge everyone else just as quickly as you or I would!’

‘Yes, I suppose he--but, then again--‘

‘And what was his suggestion on handling Carlos?  Chide him?  Slap him on the wrists?  If that?’

‘He didn’t really have a suggestion.’

‘Exactly!  Where’s his classic liberal, laissez-faire philosophy when it comes to the real threats?  The down-to-urth sorts of problems.’

‘I’m not exactly clear on that.  He seems to think that freedum is more ipmronant than anything else.  I suppose he doesn’t care about anything much more than that.’

‘What kind of friedamn is he off ring?  I’m not fre if I’m always worried about someone attacking me, steeling from me.’

‘No, I uhgree.  I’D MUCH RATHER BE SAFE THAN FREE (emphasis added) if that’s what freedom means.’

‘Exactly, and we all think that way.  Say, you’ll be happy to know we’re getting together a little . . . well, it’s not a govermint, per se, but a little committee to get things orgranzined.  We dohnt wahnt to ruhin everyone’s fun tho, so we’re just asking whose wants to be a part of this hole thing--you know, kind of like the “citizens” of our little “nation.”  Yewd be expected to chip in in various wayz, but everyone chips in, so it’ll all be a nice way of holding each other up, looking out for each other, providing for each.  You know, like communities are supposed to do.’

‘Oh, yes, well.  That’s sounds very inviting, and I thank you for your invitation, but--‘

‘Still got Paul’s thoughts banging around your head?’

‘Oh, not really.  Paul?  No, it’s just I never agree to things that are just sprunk on me like--‘

‘Hey, you know what?  Let’s talk to Pall.  Huh?  I’d like to see what he thinks of it.’

‘Well, I could tell you he’d probably disapprove.’

continued in part 9

No comments:

Post a Comment